Climate Action Simulation
Group Role-Play Game with En-ROADS
FEATURES OF THE GAME
The Climate Action Simulation can be run for groups in-person or online.
- The facilitator(s) acts as the UN Secretary-General who has convened the summit.
- Participants are divided into teams that represent different global stakeholders of business, government, and civil society who can drive climate solutions: Clean Tech, Conventional Energy, Industry & Commerce, World Governments, and Climate Justice Hawks. You may choose to change your groups based on your audience.
- The game is run in rounds. Once teams have brainstormed their game strategies, each team is invited to propose a climate solution to be implemented.
- These actions are analyzed in real-time with the En-ROADS simulator to determine their effects on the climate.
- The game is played until a scenario under 2°C warming is reached or time is up.
- The game is ideal for groups of 20-50 people. It is designed to be played by a wide range of audiences, from high school students and community members to industry professionals and policymakers.
- The game normally runs for 2-4 hours.
- An earlier version of this game was known as the World Energy Simulation.
Have a question about the Climate Action Simulation, the En-ROADS model, running an event, or other related topics? Be sure to check out the Climate Interactive Support Desk to explore our FAQs or ask a specific question.
Not the right fit? We offer several other engaging group experiences – such as the En-ROADS Climate Workshop can be used to achieve similar outcomes without the role-play game experience Or, explore the En-ROADS Guided Assignment, a resource ideal for educators and climate leaders which utilizes a guided video and worksheet to introduce groups to the En-ROADS simulator and key climate solutions.
Learn How to Lead It
Join our trainings to learn how to facilitate the Climate Action Simulation.
Looking to run the Climate Action Simulation in a language other than English? Explore this worksheet to see what resources we have available.
Everything you’ll need to run the Climate Action Simulation:
Looking for a student homework or in-class assignment? We’ve developed this student activity, which guides students in creating an En-ROADS scenario and reflecting on the implications of their decisions. This is an individual computer assignment, and it can be used in addition to the game or as a separate activity.
Find a Facilitator
Do you have a specific audience who you believe could greatly benefit from experiencing the Climate Action Simulation game, but aren’t able to facilitate yourself? Invite your group to take part in one of our up-coming online workshops, explore our En-ROADS community forums to connect to a facilitator in your area, or ask our team or an Ambassador to host your event for you – either online or in-person.
Register Your Event
Have you run a Climate Action Simulation event or have one planned? Great! Make sure to register your event below. Registering your event allows us to keep track of who is running the game around the world.